Alliance of Latino Leadership & Policy
Who We Are
The Alliance of Latino Leadership and Policy (ALLP)
In 2020, a pioneering group of national Latino Leaders founded the Alliance of Latino Leadership and Policy (ALLP) to expand inclusion and participation of Latinos in public service.
We believe that equitable representation in the formulation of public policy is an important democratic principle and that diversity in the policy decision process is a national strength.
Why we are different
We see the Latino community as a long neglected, but potent national resource.
- The Latino Community is a “sleeping giant” that won’t wake itself up.
- The Federal government is doing everything it can to address historic Latino underrepresentation.
- Non-Latino policymakers in D.C. are capable of representing the viewpoints of the Latinx Community.
- A network of Latino Policy Experts and Leaders does not currently exist.
- The Sleeping Giant has awoken and we are demanding our fair share of the Nation’s bounty.
- The Federal government has failed to increase Latino representation in the Federal government and ALLP works to address this underrepresentation.
- Latino inclusion in policy making decisions of the Federal government allows the development of programs and services that are responsive to the needs of the Latino Community.
- There is an expansive national network of Latino policy experts who represent a broad range of disciplines who must be included in the national discourse.
The Challenges We are Resolving
Federal government policies, programs and funding have evolved over the past 200+ years through a complex interplay between state and local governments, the private sector (corporations, small businesses) and the non-profit sector (health providers, universities, etc.). Those who know how to navigate these choppy waters are rewarded with policies, programs and funding that benefits their communities. The Latino Community has been systematically denied the full opportunity to participate in these processes, to the detriment of our community.
To resolve these challenges, ALLP will:
- Advocate for the Latinx Community in the DC policy debates.
- Provide platforms for Latinx Policy Leaders & Experts to advocate for current and future Federal government funding and policies that benefit our Community.
- Train the next generation of Latinx Policy Leaders & Experts who will lead the effort to bring the benefits of Federal programs and policies to our Community.
- Sponsor research that supports these advocacy efforts.